Aims & Values
For many of our students, the school system can present many challenging experiences. Our aim at Brown’s School is to create a positive and nurturing educational setting for our young people. Our students have unique learning profiles which requires effective learning and teaching to be tailored to their individual needs. We hope to create an environment where students enjoy attending school, are able to develop life and social skills, and are empowered to achieve.
Once we have begun to break their barriers to learning, we can install strategies and skills to help them to reach their academic potential. Our school is warm, friendly, and we are committed to each student’s holistic development.
We aim to empower students to achieve by:
- Providing small class sizes to ensure a high level of classroom support from trained teachers, learning support assistants, and therapists.
- Providing on-site Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Clinical Psychology on an assessed need basis.
- Ensuring staff receive appropriate training and support to meet the needs of all students.
- Having high expectations and aspirations of all students.
- Monitoring progress through assessment, tracking, and target setting.
- Implementing a consistent behaviour management system.
- Encouraging strong home-school relationships through continual communication such as newsletters and parents’ evenings.
- Having a diverse and engaging curriculum with natural progressions to formal qualifications in Key Stage 4.
- To develop Spiritual, Moral, Social, and Cultural awareness through the curriculum, with particular emphasis from PSHE, Social Skills, Life and Study Skills, and the Healthy Living Enrichment Programme.
Staff work towards our school ethos of ‘Empowering Tomorrow’s People’ and encourage the students to share this as a common goal.